Biography
Frank Sinatra was born December 12, 1915 and passed away May 14, 1998. Though Frank Sinatra started out singing in saloons and then later with three other performers, his solo career began in 1946 when he released his first solo album, The Voice of Frank Sinatra. Frank instantly found fame as the king of the bobbysoxers (young women and girls that were his fans). Amongst teenage music fans, Frank became the most popular singer of that era. In 1945, Frank Sinatra took the lead in a short film, Anchors Aweigh with Gene Kelly. Throughout Sinatra's career, he won nine Grammy awards and was nominated for thirty-one. His first Grammy award was received in 1958 for best album cover for Frank Sinatra Sings For Only The Lonely. In 1995, Sinatra received a Grammy Legend Award. Currently, Sinatra has thirteen recorded works in the Grammy Hall of Fame including the albums Come Fly With Me, Frank Sinatra Sings For Only The Lonely and In The Wee Small Hours. Sinatra also has the singles "The House I Live In," "I'll Never Smile Again" and "I've Got The World On A String."
"I would like to be
remembered as a man who
had a wonderful time living
life, a man who had good
friends, fine family — and I
don’t think I could ask for
anything more than that,
actually."
Musical Performances
The Role of The Performer
According to the article Frank Sinatra: Jazz His Way, over all the music entertainers over the last hundred years that there remains one name: Frank Sinatra. Frank Sinatra was described in this article as incandescent, innovated, influenced, multi-talented and sold millions of records. Even more than this though, Frank Sinatra also reinvented the entertainment world. Sinatra was able to create a continental divide in the pop music industry by bringing jazz out of itself and into popular music, and was able to make it stick.
Frank Sinatra was able to turn himself into an instrumentalist rather than being a singer in a band. It is said that Sinatra could swing anything. He was able to bend rhythms, shape time, color his voice and could even change the words of the song if he wanted to. Jazz musicians refer to Frank Sinatra as a jazz singer. Some have said they can see his professionalism, control, musicality and poetry. Sinatra owned the stage, studio, and the screen. No voice could match what Sinatra was able to expose in the emotion of a song with his burnished baritone.
Personal Thoughts
Initially, I chose to do this weeks assignment on Frank Sinatra as a way to push myself outside of my comfort zone. I quickly learned several things. First, I actually did know quite a few of his songs. Second, I didn't know he was so good looking! I was on the phone with my dad earlier and mentioned I was doing my assignment on Frank Sinatra and he says "oh blue eyes!" He is now excited to see my blog post after I finish.
I really had no idea just how much of an impact Frank Sinatra had on the music industry. When I think of a musical performer, my mind either goes to Elvis or KISS, maybe some much newer groups. I never gave it any thought to somebody such as Sinatra being a performer. I did however, find myself very interested in watching him perform through some of the YouTube videos I shared.
Work Cited
Amir. “I’ll Never Smile Again Frank Sinatra.” YouTube, 28 Aug. 2021, www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JqDUpg8cz0.
“Frank Sinatra.” Grammy.com, www.grammy.com/artists/frank-sinatra/6581. Accessed 29 Mar. 2023.
“Frank Sinatra Biography IMBD.” IMBD.com, www.imdb.com/name/nm0000069/bio?ref_=nm_ov_bio_sm. Accessed 29 Mar. 2023.
“Frank Sinatra: Jazz His Way.” WRTI, 12 Dec. 2015, www.wrti.org/arts-desk/2015-12-09/frank-sinatra-jazz-his-way. Accessed 29 Mar. 2023.
FrankSinatraVEVO. “Frank Sinatra - I’ve Got the World on a String.” YouTube, 29 Mar. 2017, www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jTIRkXCaF0.
---. “Frank Sinatra - Luck Be a Lady (Official Video).” YouTube, 29 Apr. 2016, www.youtube.com/watch?v=X69P_Vce9vw.
---. “Frank Sinatra - You Make Me Feel so Young (Live at Royal Festival Hall / 1962).” YouTube, 3 Dec. 2014, www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiILUT_Px84.
thelandscapeoftruth.com. “Frank Sinatra the House I Live in That Is America to Me 1974 Madison Square Garden.” YouTube, 31 Aug. 2015, www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2ImC32pXDw.
Hey Lianna,
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed your bio on Frank Sinatra. Honestly, I've heard his name, but I don't think I ever knew who he was and what he did, so it was nice to learn more about him. I'm curious about what music elements you think were in the music you chose specifically :)
I wanted to share this live video of his. I recognized this song from some movies, and I thought his performance here was really good.
https://youtu.be/Y2rDb4Ur2dw
Hey, Lianna! I grew up listening to Frank Sinatra. I have always liked his music, and his overall range. He had many songs that are slow, and low beats, but then songs that are upbeat and energetic. I also really liked the quote you included from him. It gives his listeners a perspective as to who he. really is. Thanks for such a great blog post:)
ReplyDelete